Monday, January 18, 2010

1st week thoughts

So starting off this week I was very pleased with the outlook of class for the year. Here's some thoughts so far:

What have I learned this week:
I've realized that for me programming is really a combination of two things: art and science. Working on my scratch program so far there have been times when I've been challenged creatively to develop some cool ideas. On the other hand, I have also hit some points so far where I know exactly what I would like the program to accomplish but have to solve problems on the programming side to make it succeed. So far working on the scratch program definitely has me using "both sides" of my brain, which definitely has me interested for what will be coming for the rest of the semester.

What excited me about this weeks activities:
I definitely got excited about class as it has become clear we will be working very independently to develop new skills and understanding. I think this class will be a very refreshing change from other lecture-based classes I have. This class is definitely one where what I get out of it depends mostly on what I put in, so I pretty pumped to challenge myself in this course. I think that this class could be very useful for me in the future so I'm excited to learn as much as I can.

What would I suggest to change:
As of right now it is difficult for me to think of any changes that this class could benefit from. Right away we were thrown right into the material to experiment with things for ourselves, but I think that so far that has worked really well and has made me very motivated to put in the effort required to learn the material. As the semester progresses I hope that I still have this enthusiasm for what we are working on.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jeremy. Programming is a lot like a puzzle. You know there is an answer but need to figure out how to get there. Looking forward to seeing your programs! Cheers, Emmanuel

    ReplyDelete