Friday, January 29, 2010

Week three thoughts

So its week three already and we are continuing to move right along.

What I learned this week:

Other people are a very valuable resource. After our presentations of our projects I spent some time looking at other peoples programs, especially the code they used to create what they did. I also used the scratch website forums and project gallery to look up some things I did not quite understand. It was very interesting to see the different ways that people approached their programming. For example I struggled with the use of numerous variables in order to control the program and have the sprites do different tasks. After looking at some other peoples programs I learned how to use the broadcast command to have certain functions performed. While what I was doing worked, it wasn't the most efficient way, and so by sharing with other people I was able to learn something new.

What got me excited:

I am pretty pumped that we got our first sensor assignment this week. I have never built something like that before, so I think it is going to be a good challenge for me and I'm excited to get started. Reading the first two chapters of the book much of the material is a review from physics classes I have taken, so I am glad I have a foundation I will be able to work off. I am sure the process of building a sensor will start slowly for me as I try to figure out something new, but I'm ready to give it my best shot.

What could change:

I really liked how the presentation day went and that we got to show our projects to the class. It was fun to see everyones work. I think it would be cool if we voted on prizes for our projects-things like best overall, most fun, best glitch, etc. Winners could get a candy bar or something. Other than that I think that class has been going great so far.

1 comment:

  1. Great post and thanks for the suggestion. I think I will adopt the prizes one for our next round of presentation. Cheers, Emmanuel

    ReplyDelete