Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 5 thoughts

What I learned:

Its a good thing I started my second scratch project early. I had planned to do a pool game and had been working on it for most of the two weeks of class before I decided only a few days before that I wanted to completely change my project and do something different. I wasn't really happy with how the pool game was going-it seemed like I was borrowing a lot of code from other pool games published online, and quite a few other people in the class were doing pool as well. I decided to abandon that and try to make a predator prey interaction. I think the end result was pretty good, so I'm glad I was on track with my programming in order to be able to recover from hitting a roadblock like this.


What got me excited:

Working with the sensors and getting mine to work. The first day when we went in to see the sensor project I was pretty intimidated. I understood all the concepts behind what we were making and everything that was in the first two chapters of the book, but creating it myself was a completely different challenge. I couldn't really grasp how to make what was on the paper materialize on the breadboard, so I did some more reading at home that really helped give me a better idea of what I was facing. After getting over that initial intimidation I had no problem getting started, and even though I had some problems at first I was able to keep working through and eventually get it. Having that light start blinking right at the end of class was pretty rewarding.

Suggestions/What I would change:

I thought it was really cool that Dr. Thomas came down to check out our projects. I think it was a good idea and it might make sense to do this for some of the other projects if any other faculty want to see what we have worked on.

1 comment:

  1. You did well Jeremy. I also think it is fun when others see our projects. It makes it more of a community event where learning is shared. Cheers, Emmanuel

    ReplyDelete